11th September 2023
Year 13 bulletin
Great to see you back in school! Lots of you seem to have been productive over the summer break in terms of university preparation which is brilliant. Most of you have confirmed which subject you want to drop; let me know if you need to chat about it and I’ll try and catch up with you over the next couple of days.
A few general announcements:
- Staff have put together a range of support material so you can build in some of the super-curricular activities or get ahead with understanding key topics. Use the link here: Independent Study activities
- Please make sure you have completed the Education section of the UCAS application; add your GCSE and AS results and then add the three A Levels you are studying, putting ‘pending’ as the grade and also add Advanced WBQ. Any problems let me know.
- An interesting and worthwhile article: When is a top university not a top university?
- If you’re really undecided about careers or potential pathways after 6th Form then maybe try this quiz: https://sacu-student.com/
Speakers for Schools has a range of work experience opportunities, just be aware some are aimed at students in England - especially the Healthcare ones which relate to NHS England. Use the link here to see whether there’s anything relevant to you.
Gresham College has a series of lectures by different Professors; September’s lectures include: Island Universes: Discovering Galaxies Beyond the Milky Way by Professor Chris Lintott, will look at how galaxies like our own formed and evolved. Why Music Moves Us by Professor Milton Mermikides will look at how music elicits joy, sorrow, consolation and the chills.Meet the Cybercriminals Professor Victoria Baines 19 September 2023, 6pm Register Now Ancient Goddesses of Sex and War Professor Ronald Hutton 20 September 2023, 6pm Register Now
Can AI Protect Children Online?Professor Andy Phippen 21 September2023, 6pmRegister NowTheDeath Penalty: A Colonial Relic?Professor Leslie Thomas28 September 2023, 6pm Register Now For other lectures which are at undergraduate level use the link here.
students are invited to Swansea's NHS Careers Open Day, an on-campus event showcasing their study opportunities in Medicine and Healthcare. You can:
They also have an Autumn Current News Webinar Series – 25 September – 5 October, consisting of 12 subject webinars. These webinars are great to help you explore a subject of interest, get a feel for university lectures and give you material to discuss as part of your personal statements.
You can register for the webinar series here.
There is also a Parent and Guardian Q&A Webinar on the 27 September
We are holding a Parent and Guardian Q&A webinar on Wednesday 27 September where parents and guardians can find out further information on the student journey into Higher Education and have the opportunity to ask any questions that they may have.
Parents and Guardians can register for the webinar here.
Information from Careers Wales:
For those of you feeling anxious about the return to school, as always, we are always available to help. If you feel you need more support here are some useful links:
There are also some useful techniques here for those experiencing feelings of anxiety:
- Breathing techniques to calm anxiety Visit now
- Yoga for Anxiety Visit now
Remember it is important that you keep an eye on your emails and our Twitter feed (@stcyres6th). I send out links and tweets regularly so there is a lot of information available, you just need to access it and let me know if there are any problems with you doing that.
As always, if there are any issues get in touch; we’re here to support you.